Monday, November 3, 2008

Here is what I think...

People won't really read a blog post that is too long. If it was a book, that would be one thing. This is not a book, so I need to keep my posts shorter if I want them to have any kind of impact. Our attention span is getting shorter and shorter. I really enjoy writing about the subject of Love so my last post got a LOT longer than I originally intended.

So what am I going to write about right now? That is a fantastic question. I know I should be sleeping and not writing. I have been awake for 42 of the last 48 hours and I work again tonight. I don't have to be at work for 5 hours so hopefully I will go to sleep eventually. I tried to lay down after work but I just laid here thinking about writing something. So I got up and ate something and now I will write for a minute and then hopefully get some sleep before work. If I don't get any sleep I will be alright, it will just make tomorrow a rough day.

Today I was pretty awake until the last hour or so that I was at work. I did have a bit of help in the form of Starbucks but still I was wide awake and fairly productive. Tomorrow is going to need to be a productive day as well. We have to set up our booth for the Men's Conference that is starting on Thursday. Also today I was asked to work John Bevere's book table on Thursday. I accepted and I think it will be fun. I met the people he had work his book table at one of the book conventions that we both attended and they were very nice.

One thing I have noticed to this point when writing on this blog, other people seem to go through a lot of the same things that I go through. That being the case I am going to write a very short section on why it has taken me a week to apply for two part time jobs I found online. I have had a bit of trouble getting myself motivated to apply for some freelance writing jobs and I am not sure exactly what my problem was but I think I got it all worked out. I know that if I get either one of the two jobs that I am applying for I will eventually stop my night job. Kekoa was aware that I would not be doing this job forever and I will make sure that I give him plenty of warning when it is time for me to quit.

So what is my problem in getting motivated to actually apply for these jobs? Well the main reason is that I don't consider myself to be a very accomplished writer at this point. This is because so far I have only taken one English Comp. class in college. I don't like to do things unless I am good at them already, so there are time when I will not do something because I don't want to have to learn how to do it. If it comes naturally that is one thing but if it takes more time...truthfully I have historically gone with something else. That is something that I saw in myself years ago and I have tried improve on my attitude when it comes to learning things that take me more time to master.

I saw I was dragging my feet so last night I applied for the first job and as soon as I am done with this post I am going to go apply for the second job. I have to write a short essay on one of four topics that they give you to choose from. I am going to write about sightseeing in Tulsa. I will make sure to let you know how it goes.

1 comment:

Camilla Tomren said...

I understand how you feel, I'm the same way about things. But, you shouldn't worry about it so much. You are an excellent writer :) They will be lucky to have you whoever they are... :)