Saturday, October 18, 2008

It felt like he was talking just to me...

This weekend is Rhema's Sr. High Fall Retreat. I am a Jr. High leader at Rhema but I go to most of the Sr. High events as well. I used to help with the Sr. High so it works. I got to go up to the ranch last night and be part of one service.

The speaker this year is Dwight Kilborn. I had only heard him speak once before and I really enjoyed it so I went in expecting a good service. What I got was so much more than I thought I was going to get!

I doubt that I will be able to portray exactly what it was that I got out of the service. There were at least two completely different directions that I will have to go to completely explain it. I am going back and forth on which one I need to write about first.

Well I started this post almost a half hour ago and you can see how far I am so far. I am delaying putting my thoughts into words and I am not exactly sure why. I am not sure if anyone has this but most of my writing is for me as much as it is for anyone else. If you take the time to read it then I want it to push you towards a decision or at least make you think about something...but usually I am writing it so that I will think about whatever that subject is. The problem tonight is that my mind is not slowing down long enough for me to get a focused thought typed out. Well here we go...we will all see how this turns out together.

So this message from Dwight was amazing! He started it off with a video clip from Ironman. Since I really enjoyed that movie I got hooked early. He used the quote where Ironman (Tony Stark) tells Yinsen thank you for saving his life and with his dying breath Yinses says, "Don't waste it. Don't waste your life, Stark."

From there Dwight went on to tell about how he re-committed his life to God and accepted the call to the ministry. He made several statements that shook me all the way to the core. They were about different things and I will only write about one tonight. He said that he got in trouble for saying this before, but he was going to say it again because it is true. As much as he loves his wife, and she would never do this, if she said that if she came up to him and said she was done with God and the ministry, that would be the last time he ever saw her. That is commitment that you don't see every day.

That statement shook me up for several reasons, but only one of them is going to make it into this post. He said that he was willing to give up ANYTHING for God. Now there are a lot of people who say that they commit to things. Dwight is someone who actually does commit!

Why would this shake me up the way it did? He was talking about the fact that to get into God's plan for your life you are going to have to give up some things in your life. You will have to choose to cut out some things, end relationships, focus on your relationship with God, listen to what He tells you and actually DO what He told you to do.

Again, this does not really sound like a profound statement. Well first off, I don't really like to end relationships with anyone. There was a time in my life when this was easier for me but right now I feel that relationships are one of the most important things that there is in this life. I know that there are times when we need to end relationships...but I was thinking about my closest relationships that I currently have (outside of people who are related to me). What would I do if I needed to lay one of those relationships down in order to fulfill what God has called me to do? Would I be able to do it? Could I make that choice today? I want to say yes and yet I can think of at least two people that I would have a REALLY hard time saying goodbye to right now. Even if I knew it was the right thing to do.

The next thing that I was thinking about was the actually doing what you heard God say part. I have a couple things that I KNOW I am supposed to do/be doing now. One of them takes time, a lot of time. It is something that I have been kind of doing for a while but I have not focused on it the way I know I need to.

It is time for me to re-focus my everyday life. My down time will be used more effectively. We only get one time around and I am not going to let my one time pass by without doing what I was made to do. My choices every day need to be filtered by this question: Is this getting me closer to my goals? Will this choice take me to where I need to be or will this be a step to the side that will move me out of the path that God set up for me to follow?

My question to you is simple: What are you supposed to do? If you don't know, find out. Ask God, He will tell you. If you do know, are you doing what He told you to do or are you preparing yourself for the time when you can walk out His plan?

No one can tell you what you should do. Just make the choice that you won't settle for what someone else thinks you need to be doing. God is the one who made you and sent Jesus to save you, He will let you know what you need to be doing with the life He gave you.

No comments: