Thursday, October 30, 2008

I just found out...

That a friend of mine from High School passed away last month from cancer. I knew he had been battling cancer for several years and after four years of fighting he passed away.

I lost touch with him after he graduated (95). I am sure he doesn't know the impact he had on my years in high school or the fact that I still tell stories about him on the football field.

When I showed up as a soph. he was a senior and there was no reason he needed to pay any attention to me. He did, he helped me with football and he accepted me as a friend. We didn't "hang out" off of the field but he would always say hi when I saw him.

I didn't have any bad experiences or any fights with him that were left unresolved...but I wish I had been able to tell him what he meant to me. I know it didn't cost him anything to be nice to me but when you don't know anyone else...it really matters. He impacted my life and for the short time I knew him I will always be grateful.

Next time you see someone who went out of their way to be nice to you when you really needed it, say thank you. On the other side, remember that a smile can change a life.

No comments: