Wednesday, December 10, 2008

i want your opinion...

I may even give you my opinion. I have a question that want to ask. Would you lie and or not tell the "whole truth" to spare someones feelings? If I asked you a question, would you only tell me part of the story because you were trying to protect me?

I posted this question as my status on facebook and I got a few comments. One comment was that some people can't handle the truth. I am curious to see what my response on that status will be when I repost it during the day tomorrow.

I want to know your opinion and now I will give you my opinion. Growing up my Mom told us that a half-truth is still a lie. At that time I didn't really agree with her but now I couldn't agree more.
I have seen this business of not being open and up front just so that you can "spare their feelings" end marriages. I have seen it break apart friendship and ruin the trust that someone has for you forever.

I am a big boy, I can handle the truth. I ask for honesty and respect in every relationship in my life and I try to always give both of those to everyone I come in contact with. I am not perfect and if you know me then you are well aware of that fact. Even in my imperfection I will treat you with respect and I will be honest with you. Don't ask a question you really don't want me to answer.

So my answer to the question: would I not tell you the truth if you asked me a question because it might hurt your feelings is no. I will tell you the truth and I appreciate it when people do the same thing for me.

*edit* I have had several people say that they would use "tact" and go around the truth so as to not hurt someones feelings. I am not saying you shouldn't use tact. I AM saying that half truths turn into whole lies and that is the problem.

2 comments:

Mark Burleson said...

or tact to soften the blow.. :D

Anonymous said...

Well, to be honest, I guess it depends on the issue. If it is something small, like say, "Do you like the sweater I bought you for Christmas?" and I detested it, I'd say something like, "Well, those are some pretty buttons, aren't they?!". Technically a half truth, yet I wouldn't feel convicted that I was lying. Furthermore, I'd wear the sweater regardless in order to protect the giver's feelings. Someone else's feelings are generally more important to me than my own on matters of opinion.
A moral issue, no. I wouldn't say what someone wanted to hear to protect their feelings when it comes to a moral issue. Tact and TIMING, however, are matters to consider, especially on a sensitive subject.