Friday, March 18, 2011

What is going on with Japan...and the world?

When Katrina hit we had $514 million dollars in aid in the first week...in Japan's first week $87 million! Now I know it was close to home when the hurricane hit, but come on. It just doesn't seem right.

We can tell everyone we care about people, but what do our actions say? Just because you may not have a relative that lives in Japan doesn't mean that you shouldn't help. Just because they are thousands of miles away instead of hundreds of miles away doesn't mean we should care any less. What do you think would have happened if this earthquake had been off the coast of California? Do you think we would have had less than 20% of the response we had to Katrina?

I see people posting pictures, prayers, candles...etc. on their facebook and sending out tweets saying we are praying for the people who were affected...but what good is it to talk and not do?


"If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth." -1 John 3:17-18

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Whatever aid the US sends needs to be focused almost exclusively to containing the nuclear disaster at Fukumishu. The earthquke and tsunami were acts of God while the nuclear crisis is the fault of humanity.
Japan also, is frankly a wealthier country, they have contingencies and are better equipped to rebound from this whereas in Haiti, there wasn't the resources and they needed the help. It may sound unfeeling but I think what we are seeing is giving relative to Japan's ability to recover.
I am as disturbed, if not more, by the atrocities in Libya as I am the devastation in Japan. There are probably as many people dying in Libya as Japan.

Miss Valentine said...

It's really difficult to comment because I understand where you're coming from & completely agree. I've just noticed that with ever offer of support is also met with either no answer or with rejection. I feel its important to help anyone, especially in an such a time for aid, but how can you force someone to accept something they dont want [help]?

Michael Johnson said...

Hal - apparently someone was listening to you because Libya is now the main focus of everyone. Also I agree we need to get the nuclear disaster under control...and I'm not sure it is as under control as they would like us to believe.

Sheda - I guess I see your point. Help can only be given if someone is willing to take it.

I guess my point was that no one really seems or seemed to be that worried about doing anything, it was a lot of talk and not a lot of action. I was getting text messages, tweets and fb messages all over the place giving options to donate. That was simply not the case with this disaster.

Mark Burleson said...

To answer your question first, I have seen a lot of opportunities to give and donate, but I also know that my outflow of money is higher now than even last year due to high gas prices and higher food prices alone.

I also know a lot of wealthy (in their own right) individuals who are pulling way back because they are seeing things get much worse rather than getting better.

I also believe, as many internationally have said, that people know Japan to be a wealthy nation and are more likely to think they can handle their own.

Not sure how much this plays, but sure it's part.

Hal: I don't really think that there are 10s of thousands dying innocently in Libya like Japan or eve Darfur. Even the State Department is saying that the larger of the rebel groups are Al Qaeda groups. Cannot say I find that too innocent. I personally think we shouldn't be helping the Jihadists (as Rolling Stone Mag put it).