Wednesday, June 17, 2009

This made me think...

"Christians should definitely not read fiction. They risk opening their minds to vain imaginations and puffing themselves up with knowledge. Who knows what they might be emboldened to do? Engage their atheistic neighbors in conversation? Take a stand against social injustice? Travel to heathen countries and mingle with uncivilized people groups? The world is a broken place, and we can’t risk the possibility of story painting pictures that open the eyes of Christians to its pain. Think what might happen if we do!"
A quote from Memoirist Jeanne Damoff via the article Why Should Christ-Followers Read Fiction? - Prison Fellowship (Mary DeMuth)
I read mostly non-fiction. Not because I am against fiction, simply because I have found some great books that have helped me get closer to being the man I want to be when this is all over. I have read a good amount of fiction in my life and I don't remember when I switched from reading for fun to reading for information. Either way, that isn't what this quote made me think about.
This quote stopped me and made me take a look at the article it was pulled from (there is a hyper-link so you can read the article too) because I have heard Christians in the past several years come down on other Christians for spending time reading fiction...especially fiction that wasn't a "Christian" novel like The Shack. I have heard it referred to as a waste of time and carnal on more than one occasion. 
One thing I try no never do is judge someone. We all know that there are right and wrong things to do and we also know that love should rule our actions, especially when it comes to dealing with other Christians. It seems to me somewhere that non-Christians are supposed to know us by our love for one another. Sometimes I wonder where that love has gone and then I remember the times I have fallen short.

* I had several pages written and I decided to delete it. This subject doesn't deserve the time I have already put into it. Just remember that if you let love rule what you say and what you do and we will all be better off.

No comments: