Thursday, September 25, 2008

Mixed emotions

Why have I been so scattered lately? It has been almost 2 weeks since I have been able to compose my thoughts into any sort of order. I know that it stems from the untimely death of Mitch Morrison and seeing how it affected so many people.

The issue that I am having is one of perspective. This is a similar issue to the one that I had when I came back from my missions trip to India. People (including me sometimes) put so much value on things that don't matter. We all get upset and stressed out about things that will pass and next week won't even be an issue. In some cases you won't even remember what was so important! We will blow people off to go see a movie that will be playing in the theater for a month and probably is not going to be worth your $8.50.

I am having trouble putting value on the little things in life that don't have to do with relationships and people. That is what is important. Family, friends and even the people who you don't know but that you can make a difference in their lives.

It is obvious to me that most people do not have the same opinion as I do about what really matters in life. A lot of them will say that they agree but their actions speak louder than their words. If your focus is on yourself and your happiness then your life will always be shallow. You will always be struggling to find the next thing to make you smile.

If you focus is on other people then you can smile with others. You are happy for their success and you will never need to go out and try to find yourself. I believe that we are not here on earth for ourselves. We are here for others and that is where I will keep most of my energy focused.

"You Can Only Get What You Want, If You Help Enough Other People Get What They Want" -Zig Ziglar

1 comment:

Amber said...

Michael, this is a powerful, emotional, thought provoking post. It shows the beauty of your heart.